Excellent Teaching

2013 Kemper Fellowships for Teaching Excellence announced.

Tim Evans

MU Deputy Chancellor Mike Middleton, left, surprised Tim Evans in his classroom with the news that he received a 2013 William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence. Evans is an associate professor of toxicology in the College of Veterinary Medicine. Photo by Rob Hill.

Dressed in one of his trademark Hawaiian shirts, Tim Evans, MS ’96, PhD ’02, received a 2013 William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence. “I wanted to be a standup comic,” said Evans, associate professor of toxicology in the College of Veterinary Medicine. “This is the next best thing.” Starting April 1, Deputy Chancellor Michael Middleton and Commerce Bank Chair Jim Schatz surprised Evans and four other faculty members in their classrooms with the award — and a $10,000 bonus. “I love to teach,” Evans said after the surprise. “So thank you. I am extremely honored. And I guess with that, I’ll go ahead with my lecture.”

The other 2013 award-winning teachers are:

Betsy Baker

“I’m in real trouble,” said Betsy Baker, professor of literacy studies in the College of Education, when MU Deputy Chancellor Mike Middleton and Commerce Bank Chair Jim Schatz surprised her in her classroom. But it was a good surprise: Baker received a 2013 Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence and a $10,000 bonus. Photo by Rachel Coward.

Cheryl Black

It’s not often that an actor is left speechless. But when Cheryl Black, an associate professor in the theatre department, was surprised with one of the 2013 Kemper Fellowships for Teaching Excellence, she was left just that. MU Deputy Chancellor Mike Middleton, center, and Commerce Bank Chair Jim Schatz honored Black with the fellowship and $10,000. Photo by Rob Hill.

William Horner

William Horner, associate professor of political science, received one of the 2013 Kemper Fellowships for Teaching Excellence April 2, the day of Columbia’s municipal elections. Wearing an “I voted” sticker and his “voting shirt,” Horner accepted the award and $10,000 from MU Deputy Chancellor Mike Middleton and Commerce Bank Chair Jim Schatz. Photo by Rob Hill.

Angela Speck

Deputy Chancellor Mike Middleton presented Angela Speck, professor of physics and astronomy, with a 2013 William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence. Speck has been teaching at MU since 2002. Photo by Rob Hill.