Setting the Standard

Meet the 2013 Homecoming directors.

Homecoming ’13

The Black & Gold Standard
More Homecoming ’13 stories »

For the first time, three women are leading the Homecoming Steering Committee. The group of 34 students has spent months planning and executing one of the nation’s best celebrations of its kind. Meet directors Courtney Doll, Katie Ottolin and Jordan Denker, and glimpse their take on life, love and Homecoming.

break
Courtney Doll

Courtney Doll

Courtney Doll

How my friends describe me: Passionate about Mizzou, outgoing, determined, talkative and a Texas girl
Biggest “oops” I’ve made as a director: Scheduling all of my committee office hours for the same day. Seven hours of Homecoming meetings in one day is just as fun and tiring as it sounds.
What the Homecoming theme means to me: The Black and Gold Standard means Mizzou never settles and is always pushing the boundaries and setting new goals. We create a standard of excellence for everyone to aspire to.
Most exciting MU experience: Rushing the field after the 2010 Homecoming victory against Oklahoma
Biggest surprise about college life: I can function on little to no sleep!
Favorite class at MU: The Constitution and Civil Rights. I love history, and [Assistant Professor of Political Science Justin] Dyer is one of the greatest professors I’ve had.
Favorite place to eat in CoMo: Flat Branch Pub & Brewing
Would never: Sky-dive. I do not like heights at all.
Can’t live without: My iPhone. Between keeping up with the news — hey, I’m a journalism major — and keeping in touch with my family, my phone is always with me.
Splurge: The amount of black-and-gold clothing in my closet is a bit excessive.
Obsession: Country music
Dream job: News producer at CNN
Most people don’t know: I’m one of five kids. I have two brothers and two sisters.
If I won the lottery: I’d take my family on a European vacation.
First crush: Justin Timberlake when he was in ’N Sync. How could you not?
Most important quality in a significant other: Loyalty
Ultimate dinner date: Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. She’s a huge inspiration to work hard for what you want.
Favorite reality TV show: The Amazing Race. My dad and I are determined to be on that show.
Favorite quote: “She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” — Proverbs 31:25

break
Jordan Denker

Jordan Denker

Jordan Denker

How my friends describe me: Passionate, loyal and quirky — their kind way of telling me I’m weird
Best idea I’ve had as a director: Starting to drink coffee
Favorite thing about Homecoming: Campus decorations because it’s a major kickoff to the weekend. It’s the first event attended by community members and many alumni. Plus, it is another way Mizzou outdoes other universities when it comes to Homecoming.
What Homecoming means to me: Homecoming has allowed my love for this university to grow exponentially. The excitement around campus throughout October is indescribable, and seeing alumni return home with the same passion they had as students is truly remarkable. You get to see how many people are passionate about Mizzou and so proud to be a Tiger.
What the Homecoming theme means to me: We have high hopes for our students. Mizzou not only allows you to develop intellectually but also does a great job of cultivating well-rounded individuals. Our alumni set a high standard for success even beyond their professional fields.
Biggest surprise about college life: How much I have learned outside the classroom. Academics are the reason we are all here, but I have grown as a person from other experiences on campus.
Favorite place to eat in CoMo: Booche’s — minus the whole cash-only thing
Glad I did it but wouldn’t do it again: Ran a half-marathon
Superpower I’d like to have: Be multiple places at once. There’s just not enough time in the day.
Have always wanted to: Go scuba diving. Not only do I want to see life under water, but it would also probably be the only time you would find me not talking.
Would never: Eat a bug. I just started eating vegetables, so there’s no way I’m ready to be that adventurous.
Dream job: Director of a nonprofit providing recreational services to kids with developmental disabilities
Most people don’t know: When I started the college search, I said I would never go to Mizzou. I have never been happier to eat my words.
First crush: John Stamos in Full House
Favorite saying: Life is too short to live it any way other than exactly how you please.

break
Katie Ottolin

Katie Ottolin

Katie Ottolin

How my friends describe me: Ambitious, athletic, selfless, loyal
First thing I thought when I found out I was a director: That they were kidding
Most challenging thing about being a director: Always dressing in business black and gold
What Homecoming means to me: A time when people travel back to experience a wonderful weekend while adding another year to their [personal] traditions
I’m proudest of: Recently locking down an internship with the [Women’s National Basketball Association’s] Chicago Sky
Superpower I’d like to have: The ability to teleport
Obsession: Basketball shoes
Dream job: College basketball coach
Most people don’t know: I can wiggle one ear.
If I won the lottery: I’d build my dream house, give back to my parents and give to charity.
Perfect day: [Checking] everything off of my to-do lists
First crush: Brian Littrell from the Backstreet Boys
Ultimate dinner date: Pat Summitt [former Tennessee Lady Vols basketball coach] because she is one of my role models
Actor who would play me in a movie: After three years of acting in my sorority’s Homecoming and Greek Week skits, I’ll take care of the acting myself.
Favorite song lyric: “I ain’t here for a long time. I’m here for a good time.” — George Strait’s “Here for a Good Time”
Favorite quote: “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.” — A.A. Milne

break