Thanks to You

Volunteers carry Mizzou spirit worldwide.

Todd McCubbin, M Ed ’95

Todd McCubbin, M Ed ’95. Photo by Rob Hill.

In late September, the Mizzou Alumni Association honored another crop of outstanding volunteers during Leaders Weekend. As usual, they come from all walks of life and all corners of the country, and each has a unique Mizzou story. They, like thousands of others, graciously give their time and talent to support MU. I think about such people to remind me of exactly what our association is all about.

I logged another great memory this fall when I paid a visit to longtime volunteer Dick Dickinson, BJ ’54, of Portland, Ore. After playing shortstop for Mizzou’s national championship baseball team in 1954, he earned a journalism degree. Dickinson’s career in public relations and sales took him all over the country, but he always found ways to stay involved with MU. He helped establish alumni chapters in four areas (Orange County, Calif.; Seattle; Tucson, Ariz.; and Portland), and he served on the association’s national board of directors.

His involvement spans almost 40 years. When I asked him why he volunteered, he simply said, “Because Mizzou gave me a chance and taught me a lot of life lessons.”

I cherish that visit with Dick, and I couldn’t help but think as I drove away that we can never thank our volunteers enough. Your efforts and dedication illuminate the Mizzou spirit around the world. To all those who serve MU with time or talent, thank you for making a difference.