We Will Rock You
Generations of fans have cheered the Tigers from Memorial Stadium’s trademark Rock M.
When it comes to football Saturdays in Columbia, the Rock M crowning the north end zone is an icon among icons. So when this summer’s renovations included an expanded concourse that would relocate the formation 40 feet closer to Faurot Field, MU athletics painstakingly moved the historic whitewashed rocks into storage before breaking ground. Reassembly of the M in its new disposition was completed in July 2013.
Using leftover rocks from Memorial Stadium, the 1927 freshman class built the 90‐feet‐wide by 95‐feet‐long Rock M prior to Mizzou’s season‐opening 13–7 win against Kansas State. Today, the Mizzou Alumni Association continues the tradition with incoming freshmen adding a fresh coat of whitewash each fall.
The night before the Missouri‐Nebraska game Oct. 25, 1957, a group of pranksters changed the M to an N. The Mizzou groundskeeper, with the help of some boys who gained free admission in exchange for their assistance, restored the M in time for a 14–13 Tigers victory.
The 30‐by‐80 video scoreboard, along with a custom sound system, debuted in 2009.
Legend has it that during blasting before the stadium’s construction, a rock crusher and truck were buried under the field where they remain today. In 1974, Director of Athletics Mel Sheehan wanted to lower the field and add seats closer to the sidelines. The plans were scrapped due to a prevalence of bedrock just below the surface.