Major Gifts Announced
Pat Jones gives nature education for youth a $1.6 million boost.
Known as the “Prairie Godmother,” Hilda “Pat” Jones, BS Ag ’50, was a leader in establishing the statewide Katy Trail and donated the Prairie Fork Conservation Area to the Missouri Department of Conservation in 1997.
On April 22, she donated $1.6 million to the School of Natural Resources in the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (CAFNR) to endow research on youth conservation education to more effectively help kids “learn, get dirty and have fun.” The gift also will establish a named faculty position within the School of Natural Resources.
Other recent gifts to MU include:
• $1 million estate gift from Stephen Daniel Barr, BS Ag ’72, of Sarasota, Florida, pledged June 9, 2014, for the Barr Opportunities for Excellence Fund in CAFNR
• $2 million from Mark McAndrew, BS BA ’75, of McKinney, Texas, pledged April 4, 2014, for the Francis T. McAndrew Endowed Chair in Oncology in the School of Medicine
• $1.2 million estate gift from Steven Gerard Lanham, BS Acc ’92, M Acc ’93, and Gina Ann Lanham, BSN ’86, of St. Charles, Missouri, pledged March 17, 2014, to endow professorships in the Trulaske College of Business and the Sinclair School of Nursing
• $2.1 million from Richard G. Miller, BA ’70, LittD ’00, of Pittsburg, Kansas, pledged Feb. 7, 2014, for the Performing Arts Building Fund in the College of Arts and Science
• $1.15 million from the late Melvin Dehovitz, BS BA ’40, given Jan. 17, 2014, to fund the Dehovitz Family University of Missouri Flagship Scholars Endowment for St. Francis County
• $3 million estate gift from Melvin Gerstner, BS Ag ’62, DVM ’66, and Deena Gerstner, of South Pasadena, California, pledged Nov. 21, 2013, for the Dr. Melvin L. and Deena Gerstner Opportunities for Excellence Endowment in the College of Veterinary Medicine
• $1 million from the late Donald S. Mozley Jr., BJ ’42, given Nov. 4, 2013, for the School of Journalism to benefit the Donald S. Mozley Journalism Scholarship Fund