Sending Students to the Streets

MAA Distinguished Service Award recipient gives back to Tigers.

Harvey Eisen

The Mizzou Alumni Association named Harvey Eisen, BS BA ’64, its 2014 Distinguished Service Award recipient. Photo by Rob Hill.

Before there was a wolf, there were Tigers of Wall Street. One of those Tigers, Harvey Eisen, BS BA ’64, has been instrumental in helping Mizzou graduates start careers there. Eisen is the 2014 winner of the Mizzou Alumni Association’s 59th Distinguished Service Award.

After graduating from the College of Business, Eisen established himself as a financial analyst before becoming a portfolio manager and eventually forming his own investment advisory firm. A Trulaske College of Business Strategic Development Board member since 1995, Eisen spearheaded the “Investment Strategies of Warren Buffett” course and arranged for students to attend Berkshire Hathaway’s annual stockholders meeting.

In 2007, Eisen provided financial support to start the Tigers on Wall Street program, which sends MU business students to New York’s financial district to job shadow alumni and network. “When I went to MU — in the dark ages — no one went to New York,” says Eisen, who is now chair and CEO of Wright Investors’ Service Holdings Inc. “I’ve been lucky enough to do what I wanted to do, so it seemed to me that I should help some other people do the same.”

When Brenna Noble participated in the Tigers on Wall Street program, she shadowed Robert Ehrhart, BS BA ’90, at Goldman Sachs. Today, Noble, BS BA ’09, an associate at Goldman, hosts MU business students who want to work on the Street. “I love being able to say, ‘You can do this, too,’ ” says the Farmington, Missouri, native. “And they can. I’m a kid from southeast Missouri. Students at Mizzou sit and dream that this is a possibility, and I’m tangible evidence.”

break

On Oct. 10, 2014, the other Mizzou Alumni Association Faculty-Alumni Awards were presented to:

55th Distinguished Faculty Award

47th Faculty-Alumni Awards
Alumni

Faculty

• Margaret Duffy, professor and chair of strategic communication
  • Stephen Ferris, J.H. Rogers Chair of Money, Credit and Banking, and professor of finance
  • Mitchell McKinney, associate professor of communication
  • Donna Otto, BSN ’72, MS ’81, emerita teaching instructor
  • Jeremy Taylor, Curators Distinguished Professor of Genetics and Wurdack Chair of Animal Genomics