The Eye of the Tigers

Mizzou’s sharp-shooting guard has long-range vision.

Morgan Eye Mizzou

Morgan Eye has the Mizzou record for 3-point shots. Photo courtesy of Mizzou Athletics.

Basketball, especially at the guard position, is a cerebral game where intellect and athleticism converge at high speeds. But when Morgan Eye hit a brief shooting slump in January 2014, MU Coach Robin Pingeton urged the senior from Montrose, Missouri, to stop thinking so much.

“She asked if I had ever thought about any other records I had broken,” says Eye, who with her 227th 3-pointer during her junior season passed Alyssa Hollins, BA, BA ’09, to become Mizzou’s most prolific career shooter from downtown. “Coach is absolutely right — it has always been about playing as hard as I can, and if the records happen, they happen. If they don’t, they don’t.”

They did. Eye’s record total was 339 at press time. She also holds the Mizzou mark for 3-pointers in a game with 11, as well as the single-season record with 112. If Eye maintains her hot shooting pace, the NCAA record of 392 — held by Kansas State’s Laurie Koehn — is within reach.

“When I was little, I remember my Aunt Patty’s basketball hoop in Montrose looking so high because I would granny shoot,” says Eye, who someday hopes to coach. “If I’m ‘feeling it,’ it doesn’t matter where I am on the floor. You don’t overthink it, you don’t second guess it — you just let it fly.”