The Eye of the Tigers

Mizzou’s sharp‐shooting guard has long‐range vision.

Morgan Eye Mizzou

Morgan Eye has the Mizzou record for 3‐point shots. Photo courtesy of Mizzou Athletics.

Basketball, especially at the guard position, is a cerebral game where intellect and athleticism converge at high speeds. But when Morgan Eye hit a brief shooting slump in January 2014, MU Coach Robin Pingeton urged the senior from Montrose, Missouri, to stop thinking so much.

She asked if I had ever thought about any other records I had broken,” says Eye, who with her 227th 3‐pointer during her junior season passed Alyssa Hollins, BA, BA ’09, to become Mizzou’s most prolific career shooter from downtown. “Coach is absolutely right — it has always been about playing as hard as I can, and if the records happen, they happen. If they don’t, they don’t.”

They did. Eye’s record total was 339 at press time. She also holds the Mizzou mark for 3‐pointers in a game with 11, as well as the single‐season record with 112. If Eye maintains her hot shooting pace, the NCAA record of 392 — held by Kansas State’s Laurie Koehn — is within reach.

When I was little, I remember my Aunt Patty’s basketball hoop in Montrose looking so high because I would granny shoot,” says Eye, who someday hopes to coach. “If I’m ‘feeling it,’ it doesn’t matter where I am on the floor. You don’t overthink it, you don’t second guess it — you just let it fly.”