His Philosophy of Giving

Drew Dusenberry supports Mizzou sports and academics.

Drew Dusenberry

Drew Dusenberry, BS ChE ’09, is a chemical engineer at Burns & McDonnell in St. Louis. He also serves on the Recent Alumni Development Board at the MU College of Engineering where he is working to raise $25,000 to fund an endowed scholarship. Photo by Nicholas Benner.

Drew Dusenberry donned his black-and-gold best and cheered on his Tigers at the Southeastern Conference Football Championship Dec. 6, 2014, at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. He and his closest friends traveled to Atlanta for the 2013 championship game, too. (They’re hoping Coach Gary Pinkel and the Mizzou student-athletes can make it an annual reunion.)

Over plates of chicken and waffles and between rounds of “M-I-Zs,” Dusenberry, BS ChE ’09, and his Alpha Gamma Sigma brothers talked about milestones facing the 20-somethings: paying off student loans, getting married, buying houses.

Dusenberry, a chemical engineer at Burns & McDonnell in St. Louis, feels those same pressures, but he also acknowledges he wouldn’t be where he is today without his Mizzou education. That’s how he arrived at his giving philosophy: For every dollar he donates to Mizzou Athletics, he donates $3 to academics.

As proud as I am to see my Tigers compete and succeed in athletic competition, I will always be exponentially more proud to see us succeed in research, industry and ultimately making the world a better place,” Dusenberry says.

Originally from Marshall, Missouri, Dusenberry was drawn to Mizzou not only because of the in-state tuition but also, and more important, because of the mentorship he received from Paul Chan, an associate professor in the College of Engineering.

Drew Dusenberry

Drew Dusenberry cheers for Tigers every chance he gets. For every dollar he donates to Mizzou Athletics, he donates $3 to academics. Photo courtesy Drew Dusenberry.

Even before arriving on campus, “If there was any question, he laid out all the options to me,” Dusenberry says. Once Dusenberry arrived at MU, he quickly found a Mizzou family.

I remember walking across campus from the Chemistry Building to Lafferre Hall, and I ran into 11 people I knew in that 10-minute walk,” Dusenberry says. (His then-girlfriend was counting.)

Now a few years removed from college, Dusenberry is reflecting on Mizzou’s importance to him.

Everything I’ve faced in my young career — I know I wouldn’t have been successful without Mizzou,” he says. “Athletics are the doorstep to our university, and even though I love sports, I would feel a lot more prideful if people referred to us as the Harvard of the Midwest.” He pauses and then continues. “Actually, I would like take it a step further and, to paraphrase Chancellor Loftin, I want other institutions of higher learning to be more like Mizzou.”