Tiger-loving Dogs

Mizzou Mutts celebrates Tiger fans of all species.

Ube the pug loves Mizzou

Ube, a pug, is an avid Mizzou fan and past Mizzou Mutts winner. Photo courtesy of Spencer Moore.

Ube loves watching Mizzou football, especially for a dog. It’s the human who’s trouble.

“He definitely senses my angst,” says Ube’s owner, Spencer Moore, BA ’89, who owns Pugnacious PR in San Francisco. “He gets a little scared of me during football season.”

But that didn’t stop Ube the pug — whose Facebook page has more than 1,200 likes — from donning a Mizzou shirt and winning Pet of the Month in July 2012 from the Mizzou Alumni Association’s Mizzou Mutts program.

The program, which won a national award from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education in 2013, offers monthly winners prizes and entry into the Pet of the Year contest. Owners enter their pets by submitting a photo at mizzou.com/MizzouMutts.

Pugs are a sensitive breed, but aside from one errant elimination when the Kansas men’s basketball team broke off an 11-to-1 run on the Tigers in 2012, Ube holds it together pretty well.

Moore, not so much. “I’m a little hyper,” he says. “I can’t watch in public anymore.”