Honolulu Hitter

High-flying junior Carly Kan leads Mizzou volleyball in 2015.

Carly Kan celebrating

Junior outside hitter Carly Kan (Honolulu) was named to the 2015 Preseason Volleyball All-SEC Team. Photo courtesy Mizzou Athletics

As a native Hawaiian on a volleyball scholarship at Mizzou, Carly Kan is used to teammates hinting — sometimes not so subtly — that they’d be willing to visit her in Honolulu some offseason.

Kan admits hailing from an exotic island makes the 2015 USA Volleyball team member “feel pretty cool,” even though she’s not a fan of the cold.

“I miss home in the winter when it’s freezing,” says the outside hitter who led the 2014 Tigers in kills with 418. “I can handle the 30s, but once you get to the 20s and teens — that gets hard.”

On the volleyball court, Kan provides the Hearnes Center with heat in the form of searing spikes and a sunny demeanor. Although she is relatively short for her position (Kan is 5 feet 9 inches, whereas a typical D-I outside hitter is at least 6-foot-1.), Kan’s explosive vertical leap and high volleyball IQ earned her the 2013 SEC Freshman of the Year title and an honorable mention as a 2014 American Volleyball Coaches Association All-American. The daughter of former Dartmouth quarterback Darryl Kan, who played in the NFL, Carly tried practically every youth sport growing up.

“My mom even wanted me to go into dancing and singing,” says Kan, who majors in finance and takes pre-med courses. “I was a really busy little person.”