Lines of Chalk

Mizzou softball player Emily Crane was drafted by the Scrap Yard Dawgs of the National Pro Fastpitch league

Crane celebrating

Senior Emily Crane plans to play pro softball when she graduates from Mizzou. Courtesy Mizzou Athletics.

Emily Crane has always looked at things a little differently, whether she’s preternaturally watching her bat connect with the softball or selecting a color palette for an art project.

The senior All-SEC right fielder is currently second in career batting average (.385) for the Tigers (No. 16 and 34-12 at press time) and on her way to a career in graphic design. Someday.

“I’m open to seeing what’s out there in the field, but this summer I hope to play professional softball,” says Crane, who was drafted by the Scrap Yard Dawgs (Conroe, Texas) of the National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) league April 15, 2016. “I also plan to coach someday, so I see myself more bringing my artwork with me into softball.”

She has already combined the two en route to her fine arts degree. She once emulated artist LeRoy Neiman, for a school project, by recreating in pastels a photo of herself rounding third base.

“Neiman did a lot of art involving sports, animals and bright colors,” says Crane, who grew up on her grandfather’s farm in Troy, Missouri. “I love animals, and I play sports, so I really related to his work.”

painting

A love of the game shines through in the graphic-design major’s artwork.